Before I start the updates, I thought I would first share our news. We are moving! Chris got word this week that he will be starting a course in San Angelo, Texas for 6 months. This means we'll be moving in just 2 weeks! I'm so glad movers are going to pack up and move this house, but there is still so much to do! We're sad to leave Monterey, but excited for new adventures. I'm also relieved that we are moving BEFORE Maddie is born. But warning: My priorities after moving are going to be unpacking, getting ready for Maddie, and Christmas shopping (have to do it early this year), so it may be a while before I blog again. That's nothing new from me though. :/
We have had such a FUN month! August started off with my parents flying out to visit for a week and a half. We had such an amazing time with them and really packed in as much fun as you can in just a short amount of time. We went to San Francisco for the weekend, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, the Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, my aunt and uncle's house in San Jose, and enjoyed playground time and lots of yummy food.
My parents had never been to San Francisco, and since we knew we were moving soon, we thought this might be their last chance. We went up on Saturday morning and started off our visit at Joe's Crab Shack. My mom especially loves GOOD seafood which is harder to come by living inland. They have awesome food. Here's Claire snuggling with my dad there. <3
After a huge and tasty lunch, we walked down the street a bit to board our bay cruise that went under the Golden Gate Bridge and around Alcatraz. If anyone is familiar with the central California coast, they know that summers are cold and dreary. That weekend was no exception. It was a cool, foggy day which was made worse on the boat. We had a fun time though, and it was a unique way to experience the bridge.
Yup. It was so foggy, you couldn't see the top of the bridge.
Alcatraz
After our cruise, we walked a few blocks down the street to have mom and dad experience an old fashion cable car ride. Chris and I did this in January and it was fun. It also takes you right to ChinaTown which is the largest Chinatown outside of Asia. It's like you step into a different country and the food is YUMMY! Anyway, we didn't realize that touring San Fran in the summer/ tourist season could wreak such havoc on our plans. When we got to the trolley stop, we soon heard that it was actually an hour and a half wait to go on! It's cool, but it's not THAT cool. So we took this little picture and went on our way.
I thought since we couldn't pass by Lombard Street (the crazy steep, crooked, famous street) on the trolley, we would drive down it like Chris and I had in January. Apparently, it was quite a long wait for that as well. Cars were lined up as far as you could see in both directions just to drive down the street. So, we drove by the top and called it good. So much for my well laid out plans. We had a wonderful time though, and then drove over the bridge to Oakland where we had a hotel for the evening. (There was a Giants game that day in San Fran so everything reasonably priced was booked.)
The next morning, we went to church at the multi-stake center right next to the Oakland Temple. We went to the first hour of church (I listened in a little on a Mandarin sacrament meeting going on down the hall), and then went across the street to the visitor's center. We also walked the grounds of the temple including the pretty terrace which is kind of partly on the temple. The views from there are amazing, but again, it was foggy so it wasn't as awesome as it could be. Stupid summer fog.
I like this picture because Claire is squeezing Chris and my head together for a family hug. She LOVES family hugs and does this a lot. She also sometimes pushes Chris and my head together so we'll kiss too. I'm sure in a few years though, this will be gross. Oh, and she LOVED playing in that fountain. Crazy kid.
One night we took Claire to the Salinas mall where they have a carousel. We do this a couple times a month. She also loves a play place they have here. She took advantage of the special opportunity she had to have Oma go on with her this time.
The BEST attraction where we live is the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's one of the best in the country and really kid friendly. We took mom there last year, John, Brianna, and Ashley there. Dad didn't have a chance to go last year, so we enjoyed going while they were here. We were excited to see their huge tank filled with sharks and other creatures was finally open. Mom and dad had such a fun time that we ended up going back the next morning for a few hours to finish seeing what they didn't get to.
As you know, we love food. We did all we could to spoil mom and dad with yummy food while they were here. We made home made chicken pot pie, coconut cream pie, cherry cobbler, took them to Gianni's pizza (the BEST pizza, even according to my dad), the Fisherman's Wharf for some yummy clam chowder, had pina colada ice cream, and of course the previously mentioned Joe's Crab Shack. Mmm. Our other time was also filled with trips to the playground, lunch with Chris at work, and of course, stories read by Oma. A visit isn't complete without those stories. :)
We originally planned to have my aunt and uncle come down to visit from San Jose for some yummy chicken pot pie and coconut cream pie (my uncle's favorite.) Unfortunately, my uncle got really sick so they couldn't make it. He was feeling well enough the day that my mom and dad flew back, so on the way to the airport, we stopped by for a little while so they could at least see each other a bit. We also brought some of the yummy dinner and dessert they missed. The time went very quickly, but we had fun.
Sisters...sisters...There were never such devoted sisters. :)
Claire LOVES puppies. They are her favorite animal. One day (sooner than later according to Chris) we will be getting Claire her own puppy. This picture shows why.
We had such an amazing visit with my parents while they were here. I am so blessed to have such loving, giving, serving, wonderful parents. The time went so quickly, but we packed it full of a lot of fun and memories.
A couple weeks after mom and dad went home, and Uncle Ken was feeling better, we went up for a Sunday BBQ in the afternoon to visit. We love them dearly and savor every minute we have with them. They are such awesome people, and we feel blessed that we have had this time to live closer to them to get to know them better. Claire adores them too, and it's nice for her to have some grandparent figures close by.
Labor Day weekend was also packed with TONS of fun. On Friday, we went to the Salinas mall to finally have Claire's portraits taken. She last did them in April of 2010, so it was time for new ones. She's grown a lot since then. She was so cute, and a little shy, but did everything the photographer said. I can't wait to pick up the pictures tomorrow!
Since we were in Salinas, Chris wanted to check out our car that was on consignment at a car dealership there. While we were there, Chris saw a Chevy Uplander for sale and got the idea that we could trade in both cars and get that one, with fewer miles, more space, better gas milage, and fewer frills. So, that's what we ended up doing, making our finances not nearly as tight. This is especially nice since I won't likely be able to have a piano studio in Texas since we'll be there short term, and I'm having a baby while there. We really like our new car. I'll show a photo further down. Oh, and while we were there, they had a bouncy house that Claire LOVED. In fact, we went back the next morning to let her bounce some more. (We also took care of a little paper work, but Claire was the real reason we went.)
Friday night, we went to the Monterey County Fair. We had such a fun time walking around, looking at all the animals, and having Claire ride lots of rides. Since it was military appreciation day, we got in for free, and Claire rode all the rides she wanted for only $10. She LOVES rides, but the first one she went on totally freaked her out. Thankfully, she got over it quickly (after she got off) and enjoyed all the rest of the rides. She also thought it was funny to hear all the different sounds the animals made. We had such a fun time as a family together. <3
On the ferris wheel. She was screaming because she noticed other kids doing it. She asked me why, and I told her it was just for fun. She thought she'd try it out. She rode this ride earlier in the evening. Before:
After:
This was after dinner. She wanted to ride more rides. We told her one more (which turned into 2.) I think this explains it all. That's what happens when you have a fun filled day with no nap AND it's past your bedtime. We wore her out!
She LOVES motorcycles. (This is NOT helping my cause to prevent Chris from getting one.)
This boat ride was one of her favorites.
I thought the puppy was pretty cute, and she had a friend to ride with. They talked throughout the ride. :)
Chris and I thought it would be fun to go camping Labor Day weekend. Unfortunately, we always think of these things too late and of course EVERYONE wants to go camping that weekend. We had a really hard time finding a free place to camp, but Chris worked his magic and found one. We went to morning church, and then headed out for some great family time Sunday into Monday. It was about an hour away, in the middle of nowhere (the nearby town had a population of about 200), with warm, summer weather (yea 70s and 80s!) Claire loved going swimming in the outdoor pool. She also loved the freedom of roaming about, eating what she wanted (it was on the table at her fingertips. She started off eating a healthy breakfast which quickly turned into potato chips. Oh well.) Here's a picture of our campsite, and finally, the new van.
She was daddy's grilling buddy. As long as she was holding his hand, she wasn't scared of the fire.
Yup. She stole my seat. But who could break up that duo? She is daddy's little girl.
I have NEVER seen this girl so excited to go to bed. Half way through dinner, she wanted to go to the tent, put on her p.j.s and go to bed. What? I convinced her to wait for s'mores, but she was ready after that. This is her all tucked in all ready for bed. Her bed was our papasan chair cushion. She LOVED it and slept quite well.
Speaking of daddy's little girl, this is a picture of Chris reading to Claire. Notice they both have their legs the same way. Too cute. :)
Our little ballerina. This is also my experiment to put up her hair in a way that she can't twirl it in knots. I found out that I shouldn't scold her for it because it's a comforting thing. I've had to cut her hair, or at least pull out lots of chunks though, so I try braids. Thanks for the idea, mom!
Another style: Princess Laya. Sometimes she pulls it out though. It's pretty cute. This was Rachel's (my niece) favorite hairstyles.
As you know, we are expecting. I thought I'd finally get a belly picture up. This was at 23 weeks.
Claire is extremely excited to be a big sister. She tells me that she is going to hold Maddie, gently, change her diaper all by herself, feed her, etc. This is her practicing. (Oh, and if you notice, this was the Princess Laya hairstyle, but one side is pulled out. Oh, and check out those gorgeous blue eyes!)
Here are a couple of videos. The first is of Claire and her "rooster feet." She loves to put gloves on her feet and wear them, sometimes even to bed! The second is from a few months ago. I love her excitement for life. She's so darn cute! :)
That was a GREAT post! I hadn't seen most of those pictures. I loved so many of them. I love the rooster feet. I liked the pic of your new vehicle.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun you've had with everyone this summer!
Oh my gosh!!!! what a cutie!!!!! I love my cousins. But you should let Chris get a bike. It's the Army way. He has the SUV all he needs now is the bike. Don't hold him back. Love all the pictures of Oma and Papa too. Love you!!!!
ReplyDelete