Thursday, July 28, 2011

June fun!

June started off with an evening at the Army Ball. It was a first for Chris and I. Since he was playing the bugle for portions of it and got a free ticket, we decided to both go! It was like going to the prom with my sweetheart of a husband. We had a good time together having a nice date. I got a pretty dress I ordered online, and since I was about 12 weeks pregnant at the time, it'll be a while before I fit into that dress again.



We also got to visit with lots of family in June. John came out to Sacramento for business one week and brought my niece, Brianna, with him. We met at a half way point (about 1.75 hours away for each of us) and had dinner together. Then we took Brianna home with us so she could spend the following day with us. We had a great time together and enjoyed going to the aquarium with Claire. We chatted, made a yummy dinner, and then we had to drive her back to San Jose so she could catch her plane. We had lots of fun!:)

Claire wearing her new sunglasses at dinner with John and Brianna.

Brianna and Claire in a clam shell at the aquarium.


A couple weeks later, my niece, Ashley, came to visit for the week. Claire LOVED having a playmate who did whatever she wanted (more than the kids her own age.) We also went to the aquarium, as well as went to the beach to see the sun set, made authentic Thai food before our friends moved, and had a great time together.

Ashley touching the (very cold) Pacific Ocean at sun set.

4th of July weekend, my brother, John, had work in LA. All of his family planned to meet him there for the week. Since Ashley was already at our house, she joined Chris, Claire and I as we drove down to LA to explore and be with family. We picked up Brianna at LAX and later met Carin, Andrew, and John. We didn't have a lot of time together, but we made the most of it. First things first, we got food. My Thai friend told me that LA is the only city outside of Thailand with a Thai Town (like a Chinatown.) We went there and had AMAZING and cheap food. Mmmm. So good. :) Then we walked down the street to see the walk of fame. We had fun enjoying the weather, seeing famous people's stars, and being together.

I love this picture of Claire and her daddy walking hand in hand - headed for the stars.

Since the walk was a little further than we realized, we decided to take the subway back nearer where our car was. Claire thought it was pretty fun and wanted to ride longer. (She was having fun flirting with people on the train, making faces and being cute.)

One day, we drove back to Hollywood to see the famous sign. It was fun to drive in the Hollywood Hills. It almost felt like narrow European streets. We also drove around Beverly Hills to gawk at the mansions. Here are some Hollywood sign pics.



John, Ashley, Carin, Brianna, and Andrew

While in LA, we also had some yummy BBQ and frozen yogurt - Asian style. On the night of the 4th, we went to Huntington Beach (a suburb on the beach) to watch the fireworks over the ocean. Things were a little crazier than we expected, so we ended up watching from a Big Lots parking lot, but it was fun. Less noise, and less traffic, but fun fireworks. It was a first for Claire, though she was so tired by that point having little to no nap that day, that she slept through most of it.

Below are some of my favorite pictures and highlights of the month.

June also brought Father's Day. Chris has been pining after a Weber charcoal grill. (He already has his dream gas grill.) We found it at Target at a crazy price, so for Father's Day (and using his birthday money) he got his grill. He's a happy man. :)

Claire was so excited to give Chris the Father's Day card from her. She chose one that plays music. It wouldn't have been what I would have chosen, but she was set on getting THAT card. When she gave it to Chris to open, she was so anxious for him to open it to find out it played music, that she ripped it out of his hands as he was looking at the front. That was only the beginning. Until recently when the battery ran out, she would often play the music on the card (especially the first few days.) She also liked explaining to us how it worked. Here she is looking at the card in a tutu she wore to church that day.

We attempted a family nap time on Sunday morning before church. When I woke up, this is what I saw. So sweet!
Our neighbors gave Claire this princess hooded towel. The yellow on top is a crown. She looks so cute in it. (Sorry it's sideways.)
I tried to do a little photo shoot (the best I can with limited resources) with Claire. I got this picture, and everyone, including Chris, noted how she looks like a girl version of Chris. I just wish I had a picture of him on file so you could even more so see the resemblance!

I tried to get Claire to pose for a shot so her Grammy could see her in the outfit she got Claire for Christmas. No, it's not too warm here in June to be wearing a turtleneck and knitted vest.

This was my first sewing project since I made Chris's pj pants for his birthday. A friend of mine showed me princess capes she made for her kids and how easy they were to make. It was the first time I made anything without a pattern or instructions (except for what she told me.) These are actually reversible fairy capes - one for Claire and one for her cousin, Megan, who is 2 months older. Claire likes to say she's Super Claire, Super Woman, or Super Girl when she wears it. Oh, and it took $5 or less of materials to make one this size. It was fun, creative, and quick!


1 comment:

  1. It has been a very busy time for you! I love all of the pictures and am happy that you got to spend 1:1 time with both Ash and Brin. What memories you are making! Claire is totally adorable, as I'm sure you know. Love the post. :)

    ReplyDelete