Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Summer in Korea

We had a wonderful summer in Korea. Since I arrived the first week in June, I got to experience a hot, humid summer in Korea in all its splendor. It was upper 80s and low 90s almost every day all summer, and like I said, VERY humid. I tried hard not to complain though since the previous two summers, I was in Monterey, CA where it's foggy and mid 60s all summer. I was really jealous of my friends actually able to do summer things, so I tried to soak in all the summer fun this summer. I enjoyed wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts, taking Claire swimming and to the splash park, and enjoying the beautiful green trees.

One of the most memorable things Claire got to do this summer was go to Vacation Bible School at the chapel on post. I only went one year with a friend of mine growing up, but I remember having a lot of fun. Claire was a little timid at first, but she LOVED it. Still, months later, whenever she sees her teacher (who she only had for 4 of the 5 days), she runs up to her and gives her a big hug. I was impressed with how much she took away from that experience. One of the themes was anything is possible with God. So they learned that no matter what their situation was, they could trust God. There was also some cute music they learned while there, and she got to take a cd home with her. She still loves to play the cd and sing along with the songs. Sometimes (if she's not in bed, supposed to be going to sleep) she will do the dance movements along with it too. She often asks when she can go back to VBS. What a fun and uplifting experience for her. :)
 
Listening to her teachers
At the end of the last day. She had so much fun.
Claire with her VBS class


The pool on Camp Casey is pretty awesome. Not only is there a huge regular pool where you can shoot hoops, swim laps, or jump off big diving boards, but there is an awesome kiddy pool which is about 6 inches deep with lots of water features and two awesome water slides. I had hoped Claire would like the water slides so I could have more excuses to go down them (with her), but alas, she was not a fan. I did go down them every opportunity I could though!

Ready to go to the pool

One of the few occasions I convinced Claire to go down. The long twisty blue one was even more fun though!



"Oh, daddy. I'm so tired of these pictures!"
"All that swimming makes me thirsty, daddy!" (She LOVED that diet coke can. No. She didn't drink any.)
One day they had free ice cream. Claire enjoyed her ice cream when everyone had to get out of the water for a few minutes.
And she was all ready to go back in when the lifeguards said she could.
There was also a cool splash park by our house that we had fun playing in on hot days.
Since it was monsoon season as well, we had a few big rain storms and typhoons. One day, we went down to splash in the puddles. It was a good opportunity for Claire to wear her rain gear which she was really excited about.



Ironically, she only liked walking through the really big puddles. She didn't want to jump and get really wet. Haha.
Of course, unless you were in the water, or you went out to play really early or late in the day, it was usually just too hot to play outside. Our favorite place on post was the library. It was always really cool and well air conditioned. Claire loves playing on these big jumping pads and with giant stuffed animals they have in the children's section. I took her to story hour sometimes and she loves picking out both kids movies and books whenever we go.

The kids of course played a lot at home too. For the most part, they really do play well together, though Claire likes to control Maddie a lot more than Maddie wants to be controlled.
Both girls playing under the table together.
She just LOVES playing on the porch, but she usually isn't allowed to.

Claire likes to play out there too. As you can see, our drying rack makes for a fun fort for her and her pals.
They have so much fun together.
All that play can make babies dirty. She looks so cute in her unicorn hooded towel after bath time. 

Kids need a snack too! Claire is helping her daddy make some yummy pudding.

All that play makes for sleepy kids. Maddie generally sleeps two naps a day, and about 10-11 hours at night. (At 9 months old, she was still waking up twice a night. Once I researched and knew she really wasn't hungry but just was used to me getting her, I weaned her down to one time and then to no feedings at night. She occasionally wakes up, but goes back to sleep quickly. She usually wakes up around 6AM to nurse and then will go back to sleep in bed with me (usually) for about 30-60 minutes. I am a happier mommy now with less interrupted sleep.) Despite these pictures, she does usually sleep in her crib. 
I love the ruffle butt up in the air.

We are currently working out of a napping phase with Claire. Sometimes she needs one, sometimes she doesn't, and sometimes she needs one but still won't nap. It's challenging. Often times, I will require quiet time for her and try to get her to nap, but it won't work. Other times, I'll let her stay up, but then I'll find her in the strangest places sleeping. Here are just a few of those strange places.
Sleeping beauty...er...Cinderella.
I searched for her for a while before I found her under Maddie's crib.
She apparently trapped herself in this corner with her toys before she fell asleep.
It took me a while to find her here too. She's mostly under the covers from our bed that drape onto the floor.
We tried to make the most of our one summer in Korea, and I think we had a blast. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment