Sunday, July 20, 2014

Easter

I'll skip the typical I-know-it's-July-and-I'm-finally-writing-about-Easter dialogue, and just jump right in. :p

I originally thought it would be fun to spend Easter with family this year, but then I realized it was the first weekend after getting back from our Florida trip. After all that travel, I didn't think we'd be up for it. But, as we were planning our Easter feast, and about to go shopping for the ingredients, Chris decided it'd be fun to go up to his parents' house to celebrate together. I was excited to go, but my only request was that Claire and I still got to make our bunny Easter cake.

The Friday before we left, I did Easter egg dying with the kids. It was nice that Maddie could actually participate more this year instead of trying to drink the dye like last year. Haha. Sadly, because Claire wanted a more vibrant color on one of her eggs, and I got impatient waiting at bedtime, the eggs sat out too long to safely eat in egg salad the following week. We still had fun dying them though!
On Saturday morning, we drove up to Chris's parents house. We enjoyed the beautiful spring weather visiting outside.



I also brought the ingredients for Claire and I to make the Easter bunny cake. It's the traditional yummy Easter cake Chris's family always had (what I knew as the Hawaiian wedding cake) but in a bunny shape. Claire helps decorate (which gets me off the hook for making it look too perfect which I couldn't anyway), and Maddie helps color the coconut. Here's how it looked!

On Sunday, we went to church with Chris's grandparents. By “we”, I mean our little family, Chris's sister Sue, and her family of 6, and Chris's parents. We filled two rows! Poppop was especially touched that we would all go to church with them Easter morning. Seeing the tear in his eye as he gave me a hug and looked me in the eye to say “thank you” made it so worth it.

After church, we had the girls look for their Easter baskets outside, and took some pictures in their pretty dresses. 



Before...
...After. Haha! The funnier thing is, there were probably about 20 pictures of her like this with the basket flipped on top of her. Clearly, Chris found it more amusing to document than to rescue her. Where I was, I don't know. :p


We enjoyed a delicious feast together, then went up for an Easter egg hunt at Chris's Grammy and Poppop's house.


After our visit at Grammy and Poppop's house, we headed back home to Maryland. It was a short, but oh so fun weekend spent with family. My heart was very happy.

Since we were away from our church on Easter, we were sure to wear the pretty dresses the following week too. So pretty!
She loves to stick out her tongue like this. If you copy her, she'll laugh at you. :)








No comments:

Post a Comment