Right before Chris and I started dating in 2005, I went with a few friends to go see the cherry blossom festival in DC. I remember having a wonderful time. After we planned our Florida trip, it occurred to me, that it would be about cherry blossom time. Since we like to make a vacation out of our travel days as much as we can, I thought going to see the cherry blossoms would be a perfect way to end our trip. Fortunately, the cherry blossoms were a little later than average this year, so the day we went just happened to be at peak! (There are only a couple of days where they are at peak.) Score! So after we finished walking around
Maymont Park, we got in the car and drove a couple of hours to Alexandria, VA, right across the river from DC. That night we settled into our hotel, walked to dinner, and enjoyed the beautiful spring day some more. When we went to Florida, we went straight to summer weather, but driving back home seemed to reverse time, and we were thoroughly enjoying the beauties of spring.
 |
| Claire was trying to be helpful in getting Amelia to look the right way. At least Amelia is smiling! |
 |
| Sister love melts my heart. |
The next morning, we walked a few blocks and got on the subway heading for downtown DC. Maddie was especially thrilled to ride a train (she doesn't remember it much from when we did it all the time in Korea.)
There is a large basin with many of the monuments fixed around it including the Jefferson Memorial, FDR Memorial, and Martin Luther King Memorial, with the Washington Monument very close by. The cherry blossoms line the entire basin, and it's beautiful!
 |
| A fun way to view the blossoms is from the paddle boats. We would have gone, but Amelia was too young, and we didn't want to split up. Some other time. |
 |
| Jefferson Memorial |
 |
| There are really cool rocks and water falls around the FDR Memorial. |
When I just showed Claire the pictures from our day there, I asked her if she remembered going. She said, "I remember petting all of the puppies!" Yes, it was a great day for dogs and their owners to enjoy the weather, and Claire and Maddie took full advantage of petting every puppy that passed their way. This of course isn't a real puppy, but it sums up their favorite part of the trip. Thank you FDR for the statue of you and your puppy. :)
 |
| More FDR Memroial. |
We quickly walked by the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial because by then we were all tired and ready to go home, so we don't have any pictures of that.
 |
| Washington Monument |
Chris of course got some great shots of the beautiful cherry blossoms too. What a great way to take in spring!
 |
| The sea of cherry blossoms |
 |
| Smelling the cherry blossoms even though they don't have a strong scent. |
 |
| A tree chair! |
I'm excited to do some more exploring of DC and enjoy these beautiful blossoms again sometime in the future. I LOVE living here!
Once we were all worn out, we took the subway back to Alexandria, got in our car, and headed home. It had been an awesome, memorable trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment