Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Christmas count down

Christmas time is awesome. Two years ago, I started the tradition that the four Sundays leading up to Christmas we would celebrate the advent Sunday. I shared a little lesson on what is traditionally taught on each advent Sunday (Mary visited by an angel, The shepherds, Jesus is born, and the wise men visit Jesus.) Then we do a craft that usually has to do with the lesson. It's my way of trying to make sure we have fun with Christmas while emphasizing the reason we celebrate it as well as a way to make more family memories.

Also, last year, I did an advent countdown where we'd have an activity or special thing we did each day, and I wanted to continue that every year. While I wasn't 100% on top of it this year and missed some days, it helped me make sure I fit in special things I wanted to do with the kids. Activities included simple things like read a Christmas book or dance to Christmas music as well as Christmas crafts, drinking hot chocolate, etc. I thought I'd share some of the highlights of our Christmas countdown activities we did this year. We had a lot of fun doing them this year, and it was fun that Maddie was old enough to get more involved. I love making memories with my kids, especially at such a special time of year.
Efficient Christmas picture coloring - Maddie colors two at once!

We made popcorn garland and put it on the tree. All season, Maddie would point out the popcorn on the tree. So fun! (They also enjoyed snacking on some when we made it.)
Claire and Maddie went to their first live ballet - The Nutcracker! It was an abbreviated version, but they LOVED it! Even Maddie was awe struck! It was extra special to go with friends too!
Making hand print sheep decorations.
 For the first time, I made cut out cookies. They generally aren't my favorite, and I think they are a lot more work than they are worth, but I thought the kids would enjoy making them. They helped cut them out as well as decorate them with icing and sprinkles after they were baked. They loved it! :)
Maddie - quality control.
The recipe was a glaze rather than frosting, so they used little toothpicks to decorate the cookies.

Just some of our finished cookies.
 We also did our traditional gingerbread house. Maddie especially had fun eating the candy when I wasn't looking (or so she thought.)




 We went down to the DC temple visitor's center and got to see Paul Cardall (one of our favorite church/ new age/ relaxing music pianists.) The performance was awesome, and we also got to see all of the awesome Christmas lights at the temple. They also had nativity displays to look at. We had a great time!


It was a fun holiday season. Christmas is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment