This year, we decided to stay home for Christmas before going to visit family. While a part of me was sad to not be with family on Christmas day when we finally had the chance, there were a lot of benefits of staying home. We didn't have to cart all of the gifts or choose a different day to open our family gifts, we got to have our own consistent family traditions on Christmas Eve and day, and when opening presents, we could go at our own pace, not feeling pressured to keep things moving because other people were involved. Sometimes our kids like to play with something they opened and don't want to be rushed to open more. When we lived in Texas, we didn't finish opening presents until 7PM because we took many breaks. Claire wanted to watch a movie she got, we prepared lunch, she played with toys, etc. It's fun. So I'd like to start by sharing some pictures of our Christmas eve in our new home in Maryland. :)
Last year I started a new Christmas eve tradition that I love. I've always liked the idea of opening one present on Christmas Eve. I know some people give their kids new pjs, but I never got into that. I suggested it to Chris, and he didn't really want to pick a present a day early. Then I decided that since I give new Christmas ornaments every year to Chris and the kids, it would be the perfect Christmas Eve gift. It's not ruining a huge surprise since they know they are getting it (just not what kind), and then they could put it on the Christmas tree that night. Here are some pictures from our Christmas eve.
 |
| We gave Claire a ballerina with a pink tutu. |
 |
| Maddie loves M&Ms, so we got her a cute M&M ornament |
 |
| Amelia's first ornament with her name and birthday carved in the wood. |
 |
| Chris's ornament says, "There's no place like home for the holidays." It was our first Christmas in our first house and the first time we actually chose to be in our home rather than with family on Christmas, so I thought it was fitting. |
 |
| My pretty girls. |
 |
| Picking out cookies for Santa! |
 |
| (And treats for themselves too.) |
 |
| All ready! (We were excited to have our special plate and cup for Santa again this year.) |
 |
| The tree on Christmas Eve after Chris and I got all the presents under the tree. This picture makes me feel so excited and filled with anticipation just looking at it! :) |
We worked hard to get the things done that we needed to before Christmas Eve so we could enjoy the day. We did just that. We always talk about going to a candlelight service, but with three little ones, it just doesn't seem like much fun. Maybe when they get older, we'll start up that tradition. Chris and I were up a little late, but only because we had a moment to finally sit down and watch a Christmas movie together. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment