Thursday, November 21, 2013

Baby Amelia!

The day of Amelia's birth had finally arrived. After a stressful two months of unpacking three different shipments from California, Texas, and Korea (the last one coming just a couple weeks before), and getting all the decorating projects finished (many just the day or two before), I was READY to meet this baby girl.

Despite the fact that people give birth to babies all of the time, giving birth yourself is such a profound, emotional experience. How can you possibly express how you feel in words. I thought about my previous experiences meeting my precious girls. Heavenly Father was so wise when he created families. Through the deepest expression of love, a husband and wife can create life, thus creating a deeper and more abundant love! And I'm so grateful that I have been able to experience the birth of our daughters with my sweet husband.

We got to the hospital around 9:30 for the scheduled 11:30 c-section. Of course, things aren't always on schedule, so my surgery started a little late.
Pre-op room
Ready to go to the OR!
 Having experienced this twice, the last time less than 20 months prior to this day, I thought I knew what to expect. I remembered the spinal was NOT fun (and it seemed even worse this time. Ouch!) I hurt the poor nurses arms while they did it. I also remembered that feeling of peace, relief, and comfort when Chris came into the OR with me. Then, after the surgery started, it should only be about 15 minutes before I hear that baby cry. Well, this time not so much. Apparently I had some scarring and the wall of my uterus was quite thin at my previous incision site. The doctor was being very careful and meticulous during the surgery and telling me what he saw. It made me worry what that meant. Could this be the last child? I really hoped not, but I don't want to risk my life when I have other children to care for. I also felt really uncomfortable not being able to move from my belly down. It was a really strange feeling, and I was getting impatient.

Finally, the moment came! I heard her cry! They said she only had her head out, and she was screaming away! I quickly joined her as the joy, relief, and love filled my body as our third little girl entered this world. They cleaned her up, commented on her chubby cheeks, and brought her all bundled up to me. I finally got to see and kiss my sweet baby girl. Amelia Marie was born at 12:48 PM at 8 lbs. 5 oz and 20.25 inches long.


When they checked her blood sugar, it had dropped to a dangerous level, so they had to take her to the nursery and feed her some formula to get it back up while they sewed me back up. Chris went along with Amelia while I dozed during the rest of the surgery.

They eventually brought her to me in the recovery room where I nursed her for the first time. When I was finally able to move my legs enough to help the nurses get me in my bed in my room, they sent me there. A while later, I got to see Claire, Maddie, and Chris's parents who were caring for them while I was in the hospital. I was so excited to introduce our newest addition to them. Claire couldn't wait to hold her. Three months later, she still loves to hold her. There's nothing she loves more than being a big sister. I was really curious to see how Maddie would react. She didn't understand the whole baby thing and looked at me funny whenever I had pointed to my pregnant belly and said "baby." It was a good sign when she came back the second day, and instead of saying "mommy!" when she came in the door, she said, "my baby!" I was so happy she was glad to have a baby sister, even if it was a completely new experience for her.

Love at first sight.

Grammy with the newest grandbaby.
While I was enjoying that first visit with family, I started to get really nauseous. I hadn't had that problem with previous c-sections, though they say it's pretty common. I really thought I was going to get sick a few times, but thankfully didn't. They said it was probably because I was in surgery longer than usual so got a longer dose of morphine which is what makes you sick. Thankfully, I was totally fine by the next day.
This was still the day Amelia was born. I still have the thing that was supposed to be on my nose. What a sweet baby.
Chris got to stay with me in the hospital for two nights. He didn't really know how to help, so he ended up staying up until 2 or 3AM reading. (He never has time to read unless he's on vacation.) They technically don't have a nursery anymore, but the nurses took Amelia for me so I could sleep. They say that rooming in is better, but in my experience, my babies aren't content sleeping in the bassinet next to me, and we're not supposed to hold them while we sleep. (I don't sleep well that way anyway.) So if I want any chance to get some rest, I need the nurses to take her during the night so I can get some rest. Thankfully, the nurses were helpful and understanding though technically, I don't think they were supposed to take her.


I love her pretty, soft, brown hair. It was the softest thing I have ever felt.
On Thursday, the photographer came in to take pictures of Amelia. She was the best hospital photographer yet and got some great shots. The first time she came in, Amelia woke up and was ready to eat so just cried for her. She came back later when she was sleeping and got some great shots.

These are the pictures I took while she was taking pictures.


These are the shots we chose to buy. Actually, we bought the one shot and got an extra for free. I've never been in the hospital pictures before, but I love this photo. (I wish I had been a little more prepared by combing my hair and putting some make-up on, but that's ok. A la natural.

Look at those cheeks! (Her's, not mine.)
I was blessed that this was the easiest c-section recovery yet! I don't know if all the nerves are just gone by now, but the incision pain that I was trying to prepare for, I didn't have! That first walk after surgery wasn't a cake walk, but was a LOT better than after the last two c-sections. The main pain I had was my stomach muscles. I felt like I did 1,000 sit ups (which pain may have been caused by moving them around in surgery.) I could handle muscle pain a lot better than incision pain. In fact, less than 24 hours after surgery, I stopped taking the tylenol with codine, and just stuck to advil and tylenol instead. I felt better not taking the heavy stuff if I didn't need it, especially since some of it does go through breast milk.

On Friday morning, we finally went home, and I was ready!

It was nice to be our new family of five under one roof. I missed being with Claire and Maddie, and it was so fun to be a bigger family. I felt very blessed being surrounded by family who loved and took care of me. Chris was amazing taking care of the house and pretty much everything with the older girls. I just had to work on recovering from the c-section and taking care of Amelia.
Maddie and Amelia when Amelia was a week old. Maddie looks so BIG! (She's not hurting her. She was just rubbing her head right before the picture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment