There is a place near where we lived in the northern part of South Korea called Herb Island. We heard about it soon after we moved there, but you really needed a car to get there, something we didn't have until January. When I saw someone on facebook say that the light display was ending at the end of April, I knew we had to take the opportunity to check it out. They have a light display including a bunch of Christmas stuff going on from about November to April. It's a way we can enjoy a little color during the grey, colorless months of winter. We got some directions on how to get there, and went. Unfortunately, the directions weren't the clearest, and we overshot it by quite a bit. We probably wasted an hour doing that and almost gave up. Thankfully we did end up finding it.
We had a great time checking out the sites. It's kind of a dirty, dusty place but it had lots of shops, displays, and of course lights! I think there are some herbal, pampering type places there too. Here are some of our pictures from our adventure.
 |
| I think these are the buildings where the expensive shops and pampering places are found. |
 |
| Outside the yummy bakery. :) |
 |
| It's located on a nook in the mountains (like most of Korea.) |
 |
| Some trees just have regular lights on them while others had flower shaped lights imitating blossoms. So cool! |
 |
| Claire loves to hug everyone, whether they are real or not! |
 |
| I love how she is copying Grumpy's facial expression and stance. |
 |
| Before we went on our boat ride, we let the pirate here hold our back pack and bakery bag. Hee hee. |
There was a little section that was a little Venice. They had a little river with Gondola-like boats. They also had a lot of Venician like displays and scenery.
 |
| This was the boat. |
 |
| Sorry for the blurry phone picture, but this is Chris pedaling and steering the boat. We thought it was hilarious and had never seen such a thing! |
 |
| Apparently Chris (I'm guessing) said something funny. :) |
 |
| Here's a little statue of a Gondola man. I find it funny that it looks like he is shouting and Claire is holding her ears even though he's a statue. In actuality, there was a live band playing music and it was really loud. Hee hee. |
 |
| Claire found some friends. :) |
 |
| So did Maddie. |
 |
| Claire even found a real friend. I like how she's copying the little Korean girl with the typical Asian peace sign they make for pictures. |
 |
| She found a smurf friend. Ahh, memories from childhood. :) |
 |
| Claire puppeteering Pinocchio and Maddie |
 |
| More flower lights. |
 |
| I LOVE these flowers. So pretty! (Yes, these ones are real.) |
 |
| Chris must have gotten bored waiting for Claire and I go to the bathroom. (It was pretty far away.) He took a little selfie! |
 |
| There were a couple cool tunnel things. This led to all the Santa/ Christmas stuff. It was a little strange in April, but we still enjoyed it since we missed out on this type of thing at Christmastime. |
 |
| Maddie and Claire in a little musical Santa display. |
We could have spent a few more hours there with the kids, but it was getting late and we were all tired so we headed back home. It was a really fun time there though, and we were glad we went.
No comments:
Post a Comment